I weighed in today and, while I’m not at my peak weight (not graphed), I am approximately the same weight as when I joined Spark People back in 2009. The weight has crept back on slowly over the last 3 years:
I’m not surprised, I knew it was happening. I haven’t been in a good place to stop it or get rid of it again but that is okay. Is now the right time? Who knows! I didn’t know it was the right time when I lost it before. I just did the right things and the weight came off.
Another thing that really helped was having a huge goal. I was already motivated but needed an end point. At the time, I had signed up for a 5K with a friend even though I had barely run a step since high school! But I made the goal and I worked my butt off to complete it. So this time around, I need another new goal, a big goal, something scary – just like the thought of running a 5K was to me before.
I had toyed with the idea of this goal in the past but it was too scary to do. Then a friend said she was doing something similar and being the team player, friend-supporter that I am, I said why not? and set my goal:
When is my 30th birthday? June 13, 2014 – 169 days from today. That is:
- 24 Weeks
- 5 Months, 18 Days
- 4056 Hours
What is 30 pounds by then?
- 105,000 Calories Burned
- 1.25 Pounds per Week
- 183.5 Hours of Jogging
That is quite the lofty goal! But like I said, I need something big, something daunting, something that scares me a little bit. This intimidates and motivates me more than small goals set more often.
So how am I going to do it? Well, just like I did before, but now that I have been successful before, I have a handful of guidelines I use that I consider my Basics of Weight Loss
Of course, all these statements are a little vague but that is because they can be different for everyone. For me:
- Exercise Often: That will boil down to about 5 times a week at 30 minutes a pop for me.
- Strength Train: This one is self-explanatory but I felt the need to put it in there because a lot of people (women especially) forget to do this when they are trying to lose weight (burn fat!)
- Eat Enough but Not Too Much: That is about 1400-1600 calories per day for me, depending on daily activity levels.
- Eat the Right Foods: I will start with Clean Eating but I lean more toward a Paleo Diet style for health reasons.
- Hydrate: I’ll shoot for 8 glasses (64 ounces) of water each day.
- Track Your Food and Activity: I’ll be using MyFitnessPal and FitBit for this (I’m sugirl06 – add me!)
- Reward Yourself with Non-Food Items: Sometimes you need to pat yourself on the back for a job well done, but don’t do it with cookies or ice cream (that sounds messy too).
- Make Goals: I already covered my big goal but setting small weekly or monthly goals will help too.
- Find Support: I have a Clean Eating Challenge I am part of for the month of January. I also have many health and fitness groups that I can go to for accountability. I also have a few friends that I email regularly for support, and finally, I have my blog!
Those will be my basic rules to get me started. Now, I just have to execute them! I’ll be giving a little 30 By 30 update each week to stay accountable. Hopefully this will be the goal I need right now to get me back on track!
What are your goals for 2014?