Today’s Bullpen workout is brought to you by the medicine ball.
Warm Up: Run
My legs were killing me when I woke up this morning so I took it easy on the run. I only did 2 laps (.7 miles) and then I took a few minutes to foam roll my calves.
Workout 1: Plates
Next, we each got a plate (10 pounds for me) and did:
- 40 yards plate drags with 2 push ups (I only did 20 yards)
- 20 yards Walking lunges with twist
- 20 yards Squats with Overhead Press
Last time we did plate drags, I really busted up my left toe. I tried to be more conscious of my foot placement today but it got too excruciating so I stopped. For the second round, I went to the side and did my 2 pushups and then hopped my legs forward and then back again. Trust me, it was just as horrible as plate drags. (My abs were also in pain today for some reason).
Workout 2: Medicine Ball
Next, everyone grabbed a medicine ball and we lined up down the turf. Mine was 15lbs and of the large, squishy type (verses the small hard ones they make also). I don’t remember everything we did but here are some moves. He just kept throwing more stuff at us until it was time to go!
- 10 Burpees (hands on ball and lift ball up on jump)
- 10 Jump Squats (holding ball)
- 10 Mountain Climbers (hands on ball)
- 10 Push ups (one hand on ball, switch sides)
- Jumps Over Ball (30 seconds)
- Toe Touches (30 seconds)
- Plank (on floor, 30 seconds)
- Alternating Plank (on floor, 30 seconds)
- Single Arm, Single Leg Plank (on floor, 30 seconds each side)
- 20 Crunches
For the second round, we increased everything to 20 reps and 50 crunches.
So that was it! Afterwards, I foam rolled my calves some more and really stretched them out. I always have an issue after a lot of walking and with over 17,000 steps yesterday, those babies were tired! I think I am going to really rest them this weekend. Maybe I should try to squeeze in some yoga to stretch and relax the muscles too. That’s it for today. Until next week!
* WOD = Workout of the Day
* This is my second post today. Check out NYC for a Day too!