Kristen asked me on my last blog what kind of guidelines I’m following for this challenge. Well, that is a good question because I didn’t really think about that too hard. I was going to just follow the Fabulous Fitness challenge originally but then decided to do my own thing. So what are my personal rules? I guess I will lay them out here and then write them in my handy dandy Journal that I started today (isn’t it cute??)
1) Eat “clean” foods only.
– To me this means eating real food. Anything that sounds like food and is made up of things that sound like food (for example, Larabar’s Cashew bar is “dates” and “cashews” so that counts to me).
2) Eat reasonable portions.
– In Eat Clean Diet Stripped, she gives you a description of how to measure portions without measuring. A protein should be the size of your palm, grains should fit in one cupped hand, and veggies in two cupped hands. That gives you a pretty good idea of the ratios that should be on your plate too.
3) Eat more veggies.
– I don’t eat enough veggies so I am making a point of trying to follow the above ratios mentioned which means getting a whole lot of veggies.
4) Continue high protein diet.
– I already eat pretty high protein compared to most people. I shoot for 100g per day. Today, I am “only” at 89 but still not bad. I help my protein intake by having protein at every meal, even snacks.
5) Have bigger, healthy snacks.
– My snacks are usually pretty healthy but I’ve been having candy and coffee a lot lately. That has a lot of sugar. I think if I make my healthier snacks bigger than I won’t want chocolate, sweets, etc. Also, I am making my snacks a combination of carbs and protein to hold me over longer.
6) Eat every 2.5-3 hours
– I already get hungry every 3 hours or so. Now I just have to make sure I am ready to stick to that schedule! I also have to follow all the rules mentioned above for all those meals.
7) Eat at least 5-6 meals.
– I am going to have at least 5 meals per day (3 meals, 2 large snacks) and will add a 6th snack if I am hungry. Also, since I’m combining programs, I am going to add a protein shake (as my 6th meal) after heavy workouts.
8) Cut down on liquid calories
– This one is tied into the sugar too. My liquid calories always consist of something that is probably sold at a coffee shop. Cutting out liquid calories will allow me to splurge on iced coffee but not overdo it!
So that is pretty much it. Some of these I got from the books I’m reading. Others are just things I do anyway. I hope this helps! And now, evidence of Day 1!
So what do you think? Was today clean enough? Remember for me, the next 2 weeks are a jumpstart. I think I did ok! I definitely had more veggies throughout the day than I normally do 🙂